Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thanksgiving Race

This was a very important race for us because it was my husband's first race. When I married Colin, I quickly figured out that he didn't enjoy running and I wasn't going to magically make him a runner without causing marital strife.

I was very surprised when I asked if he wanted to do the race and he said yes. He did some running on his own before hand, but some orthopedic problems were causing him pain. (In my not so professional opinion, a broken leg when he was a kid has caused some problems with over-tightening in the muscles in his legs.)

 Mixed feelings about the race itself--the race was a little unorganized. People didn't know where different courses went and it started late, which was only a problem because it was cold.  But after we got going, I think Colin enjoyed it.

The course was longer than a 5k. Someone said 3.8 miles, I got 3.56 miles when I entered it into Runkeeper. I stopped to use a bathroom along the way (I am almost 4 months pregnant) so I don't know what my real time was. Plus, the timing chips got pretty messed up (and they thought me and my sister were men.) I wasn't feeling real great and ran it in about 51 minutes which is an average pace of 14:30 minute miles. When I got back from Idaho, I went running and was back at a 11:30 minute pace, so I don't know what the problem was that morning.

Colin caught the racing spirit and ended up running the last little bit in quite a bit faster than me and beating me by a minute. I hope he wants to do one of these again because it was delightful having him with me the entire time.Way to go Colin!






No comments:

Post a Comment